Who We Are
Friends of Lost Corner is a non-profit organization that provides stewardship to this 24 acre City of Sandy Springs park amenity through funding, community engagement, programming, volunteers, and support for park preservation.
Where We Are
Lost Corner Preserve is a located* at:
7300 Brandon Mill Rd.
Sandy Springs, GA 30328
The blinking light lets you know that you have arrived at the Park. Don't miss the driveway located on Brandon Mill Rd near the intersection.
*This is NOT our mailing address it is the Preserve location. Please see the Contact page for our mailing address.
Friends of Lost Corner unofficially began in 2003 when Trisha Thompson Fox and Cheryl Barlow (pictured) started visiting Ms. Peggy Miles at her home tucked away on the 24 acre tract of land. Trisha was a past president of their home owners association and Cheryl was the current president. Ms. Miles’ family bought the property in 1913 from the original owners and she was born there in 1923. The original homestead foundation remains from the 1850s, and the Miles family built a charming craftsman bungalow on top of it in the 1920s. Peggy never married, had no children and lived alone. Trisha and Cheryl would visit to check on her.
Over the years, they spent many visits sitting on her porch, chatting about many different things, especially the animals and plants which Ms. Miles knew in detail, even the Latin names. She would tell them stories about growing up on Lost Corner. Her father called the property Lost Corner because people would have trouble finding it. He sold electricity for Georgia Power in conjunction with the Morgan Falls Dam project and the house was one of the first in the area to have electricity. Peggy would walk to the two roomed school house at Morgan Falls Rd. and try to avoid the noise from the logging at the then operational Brandon Mill. It was during one of Trisha's and Cheryl's visits, in 2006, when Cheryl had brought her new baby and 4 year old along that Ms. Miles told them she didn’t want the property to ever change. She told them she wanted it to stay the way it is so everyone could enjoy it, especially children.
a request Realized
Peggy's wish brought together different groups who made Lost Corner Preserve a reality. After Ms. Miles decided to donate her land, The Trust for Public Land was brought in to hold a deed to the property until it could be purchased and transferred for city use. Plans were made to raise money to purchase 24 acres, to provide a life estate for Miles. A total of $833,334 was raised to acquire the property. The funding came from the City of Sandy Springs, which contributed $416,000 and a Georgia Land Conservation Program grant of $250,000. The Trust for Public Land and Friends of Lost Corner with the help of Ralph Daniels with Fulton County Commissioner Tom Lowe’s office raised $167,334.
Lost Corner Offically Opens
Sadly in 2008, Ms. Miles died at Lost Corner in the home where she had been born, shortly after the deed was completed by the Trust for Public Land. The deed and property ownership was transferred to the City of Sandy Springs. Her desire to keep Lost Corner intact was realized. In 2011, the City asked Thompson-Fox and Barlow to officially form Friends of Lost Corner, a 510c3 to help Ms. Miles fulfill her wish of opening up the property for use by the community. Two more acres were purchased and various park improvements came into use, during a long “soft opening” of the park. Friends of Lost Corner worked to open the community gardens to the public in spring 2013 and a renovation of the cottage was completed in 2014. The City installed trails, implemented security measures and built the parking lot. The park officially opened to the public on March 17, 2016.